Information Regarding Marriage
- Setting the date and time of the marriage:
- Completion of the Marriage Registration Form
- $100.00 non-refundable deposit to be made before a reservation of date and time finalized.
Second Meeting (at least ½ hour in length)
- Baptismal Certificate: the certificate must be dated from the church of baptism no more than 6 months prior to the wedding date. Both the groom and the bride will need to provide their certificates.
- Confirmation Certificate: this may be the original certificate. Although Confirmation for marriage is not required, it highly recommended. Once again both the bride and groom will need to provide their certificates.
- Non Parishioners: A letter from the bride’s pastor to transfer the marriage to St. Hyacinth is required.
Third Meeting (This meeting should be at least one month prior to marriage date)
- Two affadavits for the bride and two for the groom, testifying freedom to marry: at least 5 minutes for each person. Most individuals use parents, siblings or a close relative. Long time friends can also be used for the affadavits.
- Certificate of attendance in Marriage Preparation Program
Date arranged with Pre-Cana Office as sponsored by the Archdiocese of Chicago (or in another diocese or a program approved by the priest preparing the couple for marriage) For the program of the archdiocese of Chicago please visit: www.familyministries.org
- Setting of date and time of Rehearsal: This must be done with the priest witnessing the marriage so as to insure availability of the church as well as the priest.
- Marriage License: (Good for only 60 days before the date of the marriage)
The bride and groom must apply for a marriage license at one of the several Cook County Offices. The marriage license must be turned into the parish office at least 3 weeks prior to the wedding. The parish will complete the form and submit it to the county for registration of the marriage.
- Payment of Fees: Must be made at least 3 weeks prior to the marriage date.
Church Fee: $600.00
Organist Fee: Several packages are available and must be agreed upon with the parish organist.
Persons under the age of 21 wishing to get married: Per Archdiocesan Regulations, the party or parties under the age of 21, must have a signed permission of parents.
Persons with Previous Marriage:
- Certificate of death of former spouse
- Divorce Certificate and marriage certificate of previous marriage
- Certificate of annulment by the Catholic church for any previous church marriage
- If the couple is already married civilly, or in any other ceremony the license must be submitted also.
- Because certain previous marriages can be complicated, prior to setting a date, the couple must speak with one of the priests.
- When another Mass or Ceremony is scheduled after your wedding, your Mass and Ceremony and all pictures may not exceed 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Marriage couples are encouraged to donate some type of floral arrangement for the church that would be used during the wedding but than left in the church afterward.
- Because of the importance of this Sacrament, couples to be married are encouraged as well as members of the bridal party, to avail themselves of the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) prior to the wedding.
- To start later than the appointed hour may cause an embarrassing situation and conflict with other services following your marriage. Tardiness to begin on time may be a reason to NOT allow any time for pictures after the ceremony.
- Photographers and video personnel should see the priest celebrant 10 minutes before the ceremony. They are not permitted in the sanctuary during the ceremony. After the ceremony, photos may be taken in front of the altar rail. With limited time to take photos of the wedding party and immediate family, it is best that others wait outside the church.
- RICE, CONFETTI, BIRD SEED or any throwable materials are strictly forbidden.
- NO FLOWER PETALS NO PLASTIC RUNNERS MAYBE USED IN THE CHURCH!
PLEASE ADVISE YOUR GUESTS through your invitations that the church address is:
St. Hyacinth Basilica
3635 W. George St
Chicago IL 60618
So as to carry on the sacredness of your marriage ceremony, we asked that the front of the church not be used for the drinking of champagne or other alcoholic beverages. Please advise your limousine driver and guests to respect this request.
Thank you for considering St. Hyacinth Basilica for your wedding.