en_ENEnglish
pl_PLPolski

A little bit of history in preparation for the 125th Anniversary Celebration pt. 2

On assuming the pastorate in June 1895, Fr. Gieburowski’s first concern was to staff the school with teachings sisters. The people of Avondale expressed their desire to have the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth teach their children. The sisters assumed their duties in September of 1895. The life of the parish was further implemented by the various societies that were established. In 1896, Br. Adalbert Goralski, C.R. organized the first choir of the parish.Within a decade, the parish had increased five fold. In 1906, there were over 1000 families, which necessitated the construction of a larger church and school building. By 1912 the parish numbered 1724 families. To alleviate the situation, Archbishop Quigley arranged for the establishment of the neighboring parish of St. Wenceslaus. Nevertheless, St. Hyacinth parish continued grow. The minutes of the parish committee in this period reveal to us that Fr. Babski was again compelled to broach the subject of providing still more ample space, not only for the school but for the church as well. As soon as Archbishop Quigley’s approval for this undertaking was obtained, the work of construction was under way. Within a few months the building was completed at a cost of $65,000.00. On December 16, 1906, Archbishop Quigley blessed the new edifice in the presence of numerous clergy and laity. The new building was built with the church once again occupying the second floor and the school occupying the first floor. It was understood from the beginning that this was to be a temporary solution for the ever-growing parish. In 1912, Fr. Szczypta had a new rectory built on Wolfram St. at an expense of $11,850.00. For this purpose he made use of the property which had been acquired in the previous years. The old rectory was enlarged and converted into a new home for the Sisters. This year also marked the first year diplomas were issued to children who had completed eight years of parochial schooling. Six boys and six girls made up the first graduating class.”

…. (To be continued)

From “The First One Hundred Years” by Rev. John Iwicki, C.R